Submitted by Gail Chimenti
In Griffiths Primary Valuations for KilfreeParish in 1858 showed Cornelius McDermott-roe farming 19 acres in the townland of Moygara
Date of valuation: 1858
Occupier: Cornelius McDermot (Roe)
Immediate Lessor: Robert George Taylor
Description of Tenement: Land, House, and Offices
Area: 19a. 3r. 25p.
Annual Valuation: Land: 7 pounds Buildings 10 shillings Total 7.10
In 1894 Anne McDermotroe took over from Cornelius (I would
assume Cornelius died then)
In 1906 James Canavan married Anne's daughter, Anne and took over the farm.
In 1940 Bernard took over as the owner.
Cornelius married Anne Reid in September of 1858. Elinora Duncan was the only witness noted in the civil registrations.
Children of Anne (Reid) and Cornelius
Roger born March 27, 1866 died
Honor (Honora) born August 1, 1864 died May 2,1927 in Cincinnati, O
Elizabeth born August 1, 1864 died
Anne born died
Berne born died
Baptized May 26, 1878 (Godparents were Roger and Elizabeth)
Married: Anna Margaret Hanna, October 20, 1891
They had 5 children:
1. Cissie (Annie) married Edward McAnulty a property owner including "The Slieve Donard Hotel" in Ulster. They lived near Castlewellan, Co. Down. They had two children.
2. Daisy (Anna Margaret) married Dr. Thomas Shipsey of Waterford and lived in Dunmore East, Co. Waterford. They six children.
3. Norah was 20 in 1927 and at that time was not married Married Denis Lennon, an officer in the Irish Army. He had been married previously. Nora had no children. Denis had two daughters by his previous wife.
4. Charlie, born October 20, 1891. Married the High Sheriff's daughter of Cork. He was an officer in the British army and married Dolores Mangan. They had three children.
5. Roger died in infancy
Elizabeth was Honora's twin sister. She never married and taught school in Manchester, England.
Honora left Ireland in the late 1880's. We were told she was given the trip to America for her 18th birthday. In 1927 Honora had planned her return visit to Ireland after 40 years. Her trunk had already been packed. She died before she could return home. (If you read the letters from Elizabeth, Roger and Anne this is the trunk discussed in the letters.)
Honora married John McDonough in Cincinnati, Ohio. We have also been told that John was from Sligo, Co.
Honora and John had five children.
1. Katherine Marie born May 4, 1892 died July 11, 1976
(Aunt Katherine never married)
2. Thomas Francis born June 18, 1894 died March, 1908 (they believe of an appendicitis)
3. Marguirete Anna born December 19, 1896 died April 28, 1980 (married William Welsh .they never had children)
4. Elizabeth Alice born December 20, 1899 died March 20, 1929 (She married Edward Woehkenberg in Cincinnati on September 7, 1921 and they had a son Edward born October 14, 1922 and a daughter Claire Marguirete born September 7, 1925 who married Clifford James Crawford on September 7, 1946 in Cincinnati and had 11 children including the submitter Gail Dolores b. July 18, 1947 who married Ronald Chimenti and has two sons and one daughter.)
5. Nora Edna born April 18, 1901 died November 12, 1982 (married Edward Bradley they had two daughters)
Anne was three years younger than Elizabeth and Honora. She married James Canaven, February 23, 1905. They had five children:
1. Bernard born May 31, 1905 married Mary Conway and had two sons and a daughter
2. Ann married Jack Kenny and had three daughters and one son
3. Mary married Patrick Cahill and they had two sons
4. Lizzie married Jimmy English. They had no children and she died quite young.
5. Nora married Jim Casey and they had two sons and a daughter.
The only thing I know about Berne is that in 1901 he was 22 years old. There is mention in the letters that he moved to London. There are notations from Marcus O'Murchu that Bernard was 6'4" tall. Born 1879 and sponsored by Roger and Elizabeth Mc Dermottroe.